New York Cerebral Palsy Attorneys
Close to 2 of every 1,000 newborns is diagnosed with cerebral palsy, and about 10,000 babies in the U.S. develop the disability each year. According to the Gale Encyclopedia of Children’s Health, 500,000 children and adults in the United States have cerebral palsy.
According to the Center of Disease Control, the cost to manage a person with cerebral palsy over the course of their lifetime is close to $1,000,000 (the second-most expensive developmental disability).
Factors contributing to CP can include:
- Prenatal Causes (during pregnancy)
- Fetal infections (rubella, herpes, toxoplasmosis)
- A stroke caused by internal hemorrhaging
- Maternal smoking, alcohol consumption, and drug abuse
- Physical trauma to the mother while carrying the baby
- Perinatal Causes (during labor/delivery)
- Trauma to the baby during birth
- Oxygen deficiency during birth
- Infection passed to the baby during birth
- Postnatal Causes (after birth)
- Exposure to toxins and poisons
- Asphyxia (choking or near drowning)
- Seizure disorder
- Physical trauma that results in brain injury
- Brain infection (bacterial meningitis, viral encephalitis)
Symptoms of Cerebral Palsy vary in severity. They include:
- Loss of nerve and muscle functions in the arms and legs, leading to delayed development of motor skills
- Difficulties with hearing, speech, and vision
- Difficulties with breathing, feeding, bladder and bowel control
Unfortunately, there is no cure for cerebral palsy, and damage to the brain is irreversible. There are treatments, including physical therapy, special education, and medications. Parents should seek immediate medical advice if they notice their child having difficulty with movement and speech.
Medical negligence may be the cause of a Cerebral palsy case. Examples of medical negligence include:
- A negligent decision by the medical expert, such as a delay in ordering an emergency cesarean section or failing to recognize the need for a cesarean section.
- A failure to act by the medical staff. For example, a failure to detect the umbilical cord wrapped around a baby’s neck, which would lead to brain damage.
- Misuse of medical tools. For instance, the use of forceps or vacuum extraction (meant to hasten or facilitate delivery) can cause harm to the infant’s brain.
- The medical staff failed to read the fetal monitor strip correctly.
- Traumatic Delivery
At Bonina & Bonina, P.C. our birth injury attorneys are willing and able to face doctors and hospitals in court and hold them accountable for serious injuries and wrongful deaths caused by medical negligence. We have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars from doctors and health care providers on behalf of injured clients.
If you or a loved is suffering from cerebral palsy or a birth related injury, call for a free consultation so we can explain
your options, and help you decide what actions you should take. At
the law offices of Bonina & Bonina, P.C. we come to work every day
believing that there should be equal justice for all.
Se habla espaňol. Free consultation.
Home and hospital visits are available.
Don’t delay. Contact the Medlaw Birth Injury Team for Your Free, Confidential Consultation Now!
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
This website is provided for general information on our law firm and
its areas of practice. Information on this website is not intended
to create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute
legal advice to anyone receiving such information. No electronic
communication with Bonina and Bonina, P.C. on its own will generate
an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an
attorney-client privileged communication. No electronic
communication with Bonina & Bonina, P.C. will generate an obligation
on their part to respond.
New York construction accident injury lawyers, defective product
attorneys and premises liability attorneys serving the communities
of New York City, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, Bronx, Brooklyn,
Long Island, Westchester County, Nassau County, and Suffolk County.
Birth Injury Lawyers |
New York Cerebral Palsy Lawyers |
New York Erb's Palsy Attorneys |
Delayed Diagnosis of Cancer
New York Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Nursing Home Negligence |
Defective Products | Lead Poisoning Lawyers
| Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys
Construction Accident Attorneys | Premises
Liability | Auto Accident Lawyers
| Wrongful Death Attorneys
Blog | Why Hire Us? | Verdicts | Settlements | Testimonials
Client's Rights | Site Map | Contact Us